My name is Melissa and I am honored to support children, youth, and adults at Phoenix Counseling on their journeys of healing and transformation of mind, body, spirit, and heart through a mindfulness-based and relational approach.
I have experience using storytelling through motivational interviewing and creative arts to overcome life’s challenges. My heart has drawn me to the healing work of supporting others in their journeys to self-actualization through yoga and group work
A variety of therapeutic interventions are available for children, youth, and adults in the form of individual, couple, family, and group therapy.
My experience includes:
- Specializing in mindfulness, yoga/mindful movement, and trauma-informed care.
- Supporting behavior modification for children experiencing problem behaviors
- Food related symptoms, binge-eating disorders
- Mindfulness based approaches for working with people experiencing addiction and their paths of recovery
- Custody related transitions and challenges related to foster care and adoption issues
- Parenting or living with loved ones with experience symptoms of mental health conditions or substance abuse
- Achieving positive outcomes for trauma survivors through the development and leadership of process therapy groups
- Teaching mind-body integration and mindfulness techniques as part of psychoeducation
- Supporting families in keeping their children safe and responding to concerns related to child wellbeing
- Using family-centered healing practices to facilitate crisis decision making
- Establishing healthy relationships and identifying and intervening in cases of bullying, harassment, or sexual violence
- Supporting youth who are experiencing truancy challenges and need behavior/emotional support
- Extensive experience in child development and healthy parenting
Masters of Social Work Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania
Bachelor of Arts in Sociology and related areas in Hispanic Studies, Psychology, and Anthropology University of Pittsburgh
License, Certificates, & Awards
- Yoga Alliance 200-hour Yoga Teacher Training through Breathe for Change and Certification in Social Emotional Learning Facilitating, SEL*F
- Our Whole Lives (OWL) Sexuality Education K-2, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12
- Motivational Interviewing
- CIT (Crisis Intervention Team) for Adams County law enforcement and community partners
- Girls Circle/Boys Council, Mother-Daughter Group, Mitigating gender and racial bias: Intersectionality and allyship by One Circle Foundation
- Incredible Years Parent Program and Small Group Therapy
- Strengthening Families Program
- The Roots of Love, Health, & Happiness; Ancient Wisdom and Modern Science & the Mother Baby Dyad
- Doulas of North America Doula Training healthy attachment from pregnancy through postpartum
The time I spend walking my three rescued beagles, Ronda, Ali, and Basil, is a valuable part of my life. The two things I enjoy most are watching my daughters play field hockey and riding horses. Spending time in nature, swimming, skiing, practicing yoga alone or with others, and doing yoga are some of my favorite things to do.